Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Power of One

A One-Vote Oddity

“I Am Only One Person” 

In 1993, I received a letter from Insight for Living and Chuck Swindoll. I have kept it in my file ever since. Dr. Swindoll was talking about the difference one person could make and had made in the pages of the Bible. Let me quote his letter.

 

“How many did it take to help the victim who got mugged on the Jericho Road? One Good Samaritan.

“How many were chosen by God to step up to the plate, confront Pharaoh, and lead the Exodus? One.

“How many were needed to confront adulterous David and bring him to his knees in full repentance? One.


“Edward Everett Hale’s words live on:

I am only one,

But still I am one.

I cannot do everything,

But still I can do something;

And because I cannot do everything

I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”

 

I’m glad Moses “voted” with his hesitating mouth. I’m so glad that Daniel “voted” to remain undefiled. I’m so glad Esther “voted” to risk her life for her people.  I’m so glad Isaiah said, “Here am I, send me.”

And on a very personal note, I am so glad that Ken Frech “voted” to share the gospel with me in January of 1974. My life has been forever changed because one man was faithful to his responsibility to proclaim the gospel.

You have a responsibility each election. And, with apologies to Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, that responsibility includes “taking the initiative to vote, in the power of the Holy Spirit and leaving the results to God.”

You have to do what you can do—so do I, and so does every other responsible citizen in the country. Leave the results to God, but be faithful to your responsibilities.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you illustrated that point well. Your post reminded me of a saying that is on a keychain I have that says, "To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."